Sunday, June 15, 2014

Wind Damage

Last evening we had a spring storm.  We were in a severe weather warning and high wind warning.  As the weather front moved through we had high winds that started from the north but also blew some from the west.  Winds were measured 70-79 miles per hour in some surrounding areas.  We got some hail with the rain.  There was some that was the size of a quarter to half dollar sized but, thankfully, there was not much of it.  I watched it a bit and saw it hit so hard on the north side of my house and bounced off and hit the garage.  Hail did crack a storm window on the north side of my bedroom window.  Within 15 minutes the rain and hail quit but the wind blew for a few more hours.  I saw a tree limb blown down against my fence before I went to bed.  This morning Brother Mitchell called to check on me and how I weathered the storm.  I went out and found a lot of limbs down in the yard.  Derrick's gate blew open breaking the main post against the house off but the gate did not break off.  Their yard tub was blown out of the yard onto the driveway and some of the kid's toys were blown around by the corral.  We only had .10 in of rain (very little).  At least that is all the rain gauge caught from the straight sideways blowing rain.  Fortunately the crops look good.  There does not look like there was any real damage to the wheat and the corn was laying over some but Dad thinks it will pop back up.  When I got home from church, Dad was picking up and hauling off broken limbs.  I pulled a lot out of my yard into a couple big piles for him then later mowed the yard and chopped up all the little twigs, bark and leaves.  Overall, we came through this storm not nearly as bad as we could have.  We have been blessed with much needed rain (nearly 7 inches) since the week before Memorial weekend without having hail or high winds.  This has helped the crops greatly.  For as bad as this storm was in many areas around us, we have been blessed again to not get harmed too much. 

 
This branch that landed on my fence had a base of 10-12 inches in diameter.  We could not see where any of these broke off the trees.  Dad said there were 4 different branches that fell on my fence and knocked over my bird bath.  Amazingly there was no damage to my vinyl fence except knocking off one little top cap which I had picked up from the driveway.  I had several branches that were 6-8 inches.  Thank you, Heavenly Father, all is well.

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment