Friday, December 1, 2017

Act of Kindness

I have always heard of random acts of kindness and I have done little things in the past but nothing that really sticks out to me.  Wednesday when in the grocery store, I kept seeing the same young mother with two little children.  The boy looked around 3 years old and the girl was maybe 4 months old in the infant seat.  Every isle I went down she was coming the other way and we'd meet.  She was shopping sales and coupons mostly.  When I got in line to check out she was in front of me in line running her items on the belt.  She was checking out and I was placing my items on the stand.  I noticed she had the clerk reverse an item but her total was higher than with it because of buy 4 items, save $4.00 sale.  So she ran the item back as a sale.  The young mother was checking and re-checking the amount of the sale and the amount that was on her debit card.  She called her husband and asked why there was only $35 in their account.  She dug throughout her purse and wallet for more money.  Not finding any, she called her husband again and demanded he get to the store with money so she could finish her purchases. He didn't seem to be very cooperative or receptive to her call and demands.  I felt for her and her kids.  I got a $20 bill from my wallet and handed it to the clerk and asked if this would cover the remaining balance for her.  She rang it in and gave me the change.  When the clerk told the lady that her groceries were paid for and pointed to me in line behind her, she was shocked.  "You didn't just do that for me, did you?" she asked. When I nodded my head that I had, she got tears in her eyes and gave me a big hug saying "Thank you."  I told her to have a Merry Christmas and she gave me another hug and thank you.  The young man bagging her groceries carried them out for her and I continued with my check out at the register. 

I've heard of people paying it forward to the next guy or helping out someone in need but I have never really done anything like this before.  The warm feeling in me heart let me know that I did something good for someone else.  One of the General Conference talks was on acts of kindness towards others and providing service to others in need without expecting anything in return.  I guess I did that without thinking about it.  What I did for this young mother in the grocery store is nothing compared to what the Lord, Jesus Christ, did for me through the atoning sacrifice he made for me and for all mankind.  I am grateful to the Savior and grateful that I could do something nice for someone else.  Maybe I can do more acts of service for others throughout this holiday season and always.

Rose

1 comment:

  1. Bless you Rose for sharing this, and for doing the kind and loving act! ❤

    ReplyDelete