Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Health Whirlwind

Since finding out that I had a colon polyp with cancer, my life has been thrown into a whirlwind.  I had a followup appointment with Dr. Kopriva on February 25 and was told that the best treatment at this time is to have a colon resection to remove the area where the polyp was attached to make sure there is no cancer in the colon wall.  She said she could do the surgery but because of the relationship I already have with some Wichita doctors she would rather I have the surgery done there.  She has worked with many of the doctors and she knew each one that we have been seeing with Mom. 

The first step would be to make sure I am a candidate for surgery.  I already had fasting blood work and a stress test scheduled for the next day, Tuesday.  She added a cancer marker test to the blood work and said she would consult with Dr. Saad after the stress test.  She also ordered a CT scan from neck to knees to check for any further internal problems. 

Friday, March 1, was my 62nd birthday and I got a morning wake up call from Amanda Reid. She told me that the results from the stress test came back and there is something wrong in the front of my heart and she already had an appointment made for me with Dr. Saad in Wichita for Monday, March 4 at 10:00.  She wanted me to pick up a disc of the stress test to take with me and to get to Wichita before the weekend winter storm arrived.

I made arrangements with Karen and she called Mary to make arrangements with her to take Dad to his doctor appointment in Hays on Monday.  Dad fixed the flat tire on my car.  I did a load of laundry and packed and Mom & I went to Colby to get the disc and drive to Wichita yet on Friday.  I called my home & visiting ministers, the Mitchell's, and made arrangements for a priesthood blessing before I left. 

Monday morning I saw Dr. Saad.  He said we could treat my heart with some medication for a few weeks and see how that works and then plan on a heart cath or I could skip the medication therapy and go straight to the cath.  Get it done & not waste time experimenting was my choice.  Then he looked at the bloodwork & CT scan done last week.  He immediately called an endocrinologist, Dr. Mortada, and got an appointment to have me seen as soon as I was done seeing him.  When he heard the CT scan was done because cancer was found in a polyp removed during a colonoscopy he said he could not do the heart cath until the cancer was resolved.  Having a heart cath and if a stint was put in I could not have any surgery for a year.  His recommendation was to contact an oncologist and get the cancer taken care of first of all before anything else.  He noticed that the CT showed a lesion in the upper left lung so he is also sending me to a pulmonologist to check this out this week.  He also added 2 medications to what I am already taking for the heart at this time.

I then went to see Dr. Mortada for diabetes.  He said some of the A1C jump from 9.3 to 10 could be because I had a steroid injection in my knee a month ago.  He changed some of my medications and added 3 more.  Two are very expensive.  It appears one that he wants me to take is not even covered on my insurance plan and may cost $475/month.  With all the other meds I am taking it looks like I can plan on $400/mo average for just the other meds even with prescription insurance.  To add the $325/month insurance costs to it all I will only have $300 a month for tithing, food, auto, household, and any other expenses needed to live.  I am stressed, to say the least.

I called Dr. Kopriva to let her know what Dr. Saad had to say and to see what she wanted me to do next? I got a call from her nurse, Sara, that Dr. Kopriva has referred me to Dr. Lindsay Strader for colorectal surgery for the colon cancer.  I see her tomorrow, Wednesday.  I will see Dr. Awwad, the pulmonologist, with breathing test before the appointment on Thursday. 

I am doing ok as long as I do not see or talk to anyone.  I am easily irritated about everything and have no sense of humor about anything at this time.  I do not want to hear what everyone else and their dog has gone through with heart, diabetic, or cancer issues.  Each person is different.  What works for one, something else will work for another and some do not find what works for them.  I have enough stress and anxiety that I am trying to keep in check (as poorly as that happens to be) that I do not want to hear or deal with other people's stories right now.  I do not really want anyone to know but feel I need to keep my family in the loop.  I do not want anyone else at church or in the community to know what is going on at this time because I feel I need to deal with it all myself first.

Mom is in Wichita with me.  Karen has insisted on taking time off school to go with me to the doctor appointments.  I'm sure it is good and I know she means well and wants to help me.  I am grateful for that but still feel I should be able to do it all by myself since I take care of all this for Mom & Dad. I guess I am being stubborn (well, I am a Juenemann, after all) and prideful.  I need to work on these character flaws.

I feel as if I am falling apart all at once.  I am grateful Amanda is doing complete medical work ups on my because it has been several years since a doctor has done more than blow off any concerns let alone initiate any tests other that to draw blood.  But I am feeling overwhelmed.

I know God has a plan and is in control.  I trust in that and trust that the treatments and procedures to be done will be what is best for me.  I have confidence in the doctors I am seeing as well.   I want to be healthy enough to take care of and to help Mom & Dad as they are aging.

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment