Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Happy Anniversary in Heaven

 Dear Dad,

Tonight I celebrate your one year anniversary in heaven.  I miss you so much.  This week has been a little bit hard for me as I remember one year ago as you were sick, not able to eat or drink anything and suffering in pain.  I was trying to do all I could to help you be more comfortable and well cared for.  I was trying to care for Mom and to have her spending as much time with you as possible in your last days on earth.  It rained so hard that last day and the night you passed through to the other side of eternity.  You were seeing beautiful clouds that night.  All seven of your children were with you and Mom that afternoon in a meeting trying to get you home with Hospice.  You wanted so much to be home and in your tractor again.  God has a plan for each of us and He knew your time was short and that would not happen like you envisioned.

I remember that night you left us.  When I was ready to take Mom home for the night, there were so many people in the room with you.  She kissed you on the forehead and told you she would love you forever.  I squeezed your foot and told you I love you and said goodbye, not knowing yet suspecting that would be my last words to you.  You told me you loved me too.  That is such a precious moment for me. 

Driving home in the pouring rain I was thanking you for it and cursing the mud at the same time.  We have not had any really good rain since that night.  Could you send some more moisture.  We really need it.

When I got home that night, I sat in my car not able to go into the house yet and prayed with all my heart for you and that God would not allow you to suffer in so much pain for long.  I prayed God’s will be done, not my will because I did not want you to leave us yet I did not want you to suffer either.

You always said you wanted to die on your tractor and we should just dig a hole, kick you out and cover you up in the field. NO FLOWERS was always your demand.  We did try to fulfill as many of your wishes as we could for you with your funeral. Derrick and Layne gave you your last tractor ride from the church to the cemetery.  You had to wear your suit in the casket because Mom said you were going to a nice place so had to wear your nice clothes.  You were covered with a quilt made from your old overalls and jeans for that last ride.  You were placed in the hole and all your grandkids, great-grandkids and even one sweet little great-great granddaughter all put a handful of your field dirt over your casket.  You had no flowers except one single iris that bloomed overnight in Kassie’s flower bed.  Yes, your funeral was different from most in those ways but it all was so fitting for you. 

You have blessed my life.   I have been blessed to be living on your family farm and to be able to spend time with you every day for 15 years.  I was so sick and you encouraged me to move here to heal and to help you and Mom as you needed more help.  I loved going out with you to check cattle, fix fences, work on tractors and implements as another hand, and work with you on anything that needed fixed.  I have always said I had direct access to you through what I called my special calling card - 1-800-Call-Dad.  You fixed everything for me all my life.  I have now had to figure out fix-it problems for myself.  I learned so much from you but surely not enough, yet I try.  I was blessed to be able to spend the night with you in the rehab center just a few nights before you left us.  Neither one of us got any sleep that night but we had that whole night together.  We talked all night.  You were in so much pain and I could not fix it for you.  That broke my heart.  That night will always be a special memory and blessing for me also. 

In the year you have been gone, there have been some changes.  I am still blessed to live on the farm and to be with Mom every day.  As her dementia has worsened, I have spent more time with her.  I now spend day and night with Mom and have some help from the others also. The doctor feels it is time to place Mom in memory care in a nursing facility for her safety. There is also some concern for my own health.  I believe it is getting too much for us to handle alone and that I may not be what is for Mom’s best care.  My head can accept this at times but my heart is fighting back hard.  Mom is much calmer when someone is with her all the time as long as it is one at a time.  I feel like I am letting both of you down if she has to be placed away from her own home.  Oh, Dad, it is so sad to watch her not know that this is her home or where her bedroom is or even where the bathroom is at times.  I will do all I can to honor your wisher and help Mom and be with Mom and love her with all my heart. 

By the way, we finally got your headstone placed in March.  I hope it is what you had in mind and that you like it. Mom and I went out this afternoon.  As you can see there is a package of candy in front.  Macie leaves candy for you.  You can also see your parents headstone in the background.  

 


My heart has been sad for missing you yet it is joyful for you to be further along your journey.  I celebrate your journey that began a year ago tonight.  I pray you are celebrating the journey with all your family on that side.  We are surviving on this side till it is our time to join you.  I look forward to being with you again in eternity.  Happy first anniversary, Dad.

I love you, Daddy.  I miss you.  I celebrate you.  Thank you for being my daddy.

Your loving first born little girl (that is all grown up),

Rose






No comments:

Post a Comment