Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Kitchen goal

I have worked on my goal to clean out the cabinets this year and wash all the cabinet fronts.  I did it unexpectedly, you might say. 
This summer and fall the mice have been terrible.  In the last 2 weeks or so I have caught 10 mice in the house.  I have not had any for the past 4 days.  I hope this means I have them all now.  The big question is where do they all come into the house at.  Dad and I filled everything we thought might be an option for those little critters last December.  Evidently they have created a new entry point that I have not been able to find. 
One day I was getting something out of the upper cabinets and saw a couple marshmallows on the shelf that were not in the bag.  I am not that messy in that cabinet that I have chocolate chips or nuts or marshmallows laying loose.  I always have clips on the tops of opened bags.  I began to look a little more and found the evidence of a mouse being in the upper cabinets.  I have had them in the lower ones quite a bit between the refrigerator and stove but never in the upper cabinets before.  As I researched I found out that the little critter got in the vegetable bins, chewed the edge of the cabinet shelf to gain access to the upper shelves. 
So began the cleaning.  I took everything out of the cabinets, scrubbed them out, wiped the cabinet doors, put everything in plastic containers or glass.  When everything was back in the cabinets, they really do look good and organized.  I even got all the counter tops cleaned off and organized.  Now if only I would get the table cleaned off.


Now how long do you really think I can keep it looking this nice? Any wagers?  I will not bet in my own favor for long.  I just am not the most naturally organized person.  The inside of the cabinets will stay looking pretty good for a while (only because nothing else can fit in there) but the counter tops will surely be cluttered again as soon as I go to the store or get busy with things other that in the house at home.  I am scheduled to sub at school coming up and a few other things so my guess is it won't last as long as I'd like.  But--At least I can say I got it done.
By the way, my laundry room still looks clean and organized.  As of today, I have a box on the floor that has some white clothes to fold and one batch of folded laundry on the dryer top to be put away.  That will be done this week when I do more laundry.  I am pretty happy with myself.  Now to clean and organize the mud room where everything went that did not belong in the laundry room.  Oh, well.  This is par for me.
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment