Wednesday, August 10, 2022

International 7140 Magnum Tractor

August 9, 2022

Dad's International 7140 Magnum Tractor  

Over Labor Day weekend Bill Terry came out to do some field work for Derrick.  He used Dad's tractor.  On Sunday afternoon he told me he loved driving G-pa's tractor but had a breakdown later in the day.  Derrick came over Sunday, June 5, with Layne and told me that the hydraulics broke again on the tractor.  He did not want to buy it because he could not afford to pay the $32,000 for the tractor and put $20,000 in it to fix it.  I told him that nobody is saying he needs to buy it right now just because Dad is gone.  The trust has not changed.  Also I understand that a broken tractor is not with what Dad paid for it either.  As he kept talking saying he did not want it and would keep driving it will he blew the "engine or ass end out of it" I told him that was not fair to G-ma and he could park the tractor if he does not want it that is ok, it is his decision and choice to make either way.  He got so mad saying I was f-ing him by him not have use of that second tractor and he stormed out of my house.  What the heck just happened here?  I'm very confused.  The next weekend he parked in right in front of my house fence at the sidewalk where I usually park my car.  He sent Layne over 2 different evenings to tell me that he was not going to buy the tractor and was dealing on a new tractor and the next night for Layne to tell me they definitely do not want G-pa's tractor because his dad made a deal on a new one from Lang Diesel with a contract to do county road maintenance.  Again I said that is their choice to make and it sounded like a good deal. 

On June 13 I ended up in the ER with blood pressure of 232/121.  I also saw Amanda on the 14th to follow up.  She decided I should see my cardiologist in Wichita and they set up an appointment for me on June 21.  On Sunday the 19th Derrick came to my house again and told me that that tractor (which he parked here) is in the way in front of my house and he wanted it moved.  I explained that I was leaving in the morning for Wichita for doctor appointments and, by the way, I've never driven it so he could move it if he wanted.  I got home the following Sunday, June 26, and the tractor had not moved.  

Allen came home on July 1 and moved the tractor to the creek bottom in the trees.  We had discussions with Mom about how to find out what our options were for the tractor.  Over the month of July Mom & I talked about what to do with it.  At one point she said to keep it so I can pull myself out of the mud.  She then told me to see what I could find out about options.

On July 18 when I went back to Colby, I stopped by to ask advice from Steve Juenemann.  Dad had talked to Steve multiple times for advice on some of his other tractors in the past.  Steve said he would come out and look at the tractor, determine what the issue was with the hydraulics then give me some options for fix, sell or salvage.  He came out the next day.  After looking at it he explained how that kind of break happens and I knew exactly when it happened last summer and Dad did try to fix it but there was still a leak and worked on it again over the winter.  Derrick even helped him with it the second time.  Dad had not had a chance to test it out before he fell sick in April then passed away on May 3.  

Oh, yes.  I tested positive for COVID-19 Monday evening, August 1.

On August 3 Steve Juenemann called me after much research to let me know what he found.  I then sent the following email to my brothers & sisters to keep them informed and to get their thoughts on August 4.

Rose Juenemann <rose3157@yahoo.com>
To:Allen Juenemann,Mary Juenemann,Karen Sippel,Judy Rogers,Cathy Broeckelman
Thu, Aug 4 at 2:26 PM

Hi All, 
As you know Derrick told me he did not want to buy Dad's IH 7140 Magnum tractor. It does have a hydraulic problem.  In short the 3 point cast iron housing is broken.  I talked to Steve Juenemann for advice on our options.  He came out and looked at it and explained how the break like that happens and I know just how and when it happened.  It has nothing to do with what anyone did wrong while using it.  It was a valve that did not work correctly and caused great 10,000 pounds force instead of 3,000 lbs. Dad tried to fix the crack that occurred last summer but did not know about the valve. When the tractor was used this spring it happened again and the came thing happened and caused a big break since it had already been cracked.  
Steve did a lot of research for us and called me yesterday with what he found.  
1.  The cast iron part is no longer made by International Harvester.  He researched and finally found a used part. That will cast around $2,500.00
2.  His service center can work on the tractor as things slow down a bit during the winter.  That will cost around $7,500.00.
3.  Once fixed we should be able to sell it for $20,000 or a bit more.  Dad paid $32,000.00 for the tractor
4.  If we do not want to fix it and then try to sell it, we can sell it for salvage.  One place that buys salvage is Abeline Machine.  Steve believes that we could get $4,000-7,000 for it that way.  
I did some research on the price of the tires if we would want to sell them ourselves (they will fit Derricks 7130 tractor) but it seems salvage value would be greater.  My research on the current selling price of this model tractor seems to be $24,000-50,000+ through dealerships.  I do not know how Dad's tractor would compare to these once fixed or if there will be a stigma because of the repairs.  
Because I am isolated at home due to Covid, I have not talked to Mom about this yet.  She knows that Steve looked at the tractor and was going to give us options (provided she remembers).  I feel it would be better to talk to her in person rather than over the phone about this.  I can get her full attention better in person when it is just her and I there.
I want to keep you all informed and would like your opinions so I can present these to Mom for her to make a decision.  
Love to all,
Rose

Replies I received back to this email:

Kevin Juenemann <kjuenema@yahoo.com>
To:Allen Juenemann,Mary Juenemann,Karen Sippel,Judy Rogers,Cathy Broeckelman
Thu, Aug 4 at 2:48 PM
Do we know if there will be any issues with proving ownership when we go to sell the tractor?  Last I knew we didn't have receipts or anything to prove ownership other than the cancelled check.

That said, I'm great with selling it for salvage. It's a terrible loss, but it wasn't a great purchase in the first place. Once we get a quote, if anyone in our generation of the family wants to buy it for that & pay for the repair to either have a tractor or to flip it for a profit, I'm OK with that.  It won't be me.

Kevin
 
Rose Juenemann <rose3157@yahoo.com>
To:Kevin Juenemann
Thu, Aug 4 at 4:01 PM
Dang, I thought you might want a lawn ornament to remind you of your earlier farm life!
rmj 


Cathy Broeckelman

 <thesatisfiers@yahoo.com>
To:Rose Juenemann
Thu, Aug 4 at 5:58 PM
Rose!

Sorry you're not feeling well.  I started getting a headache after I left last Saturday, so I hope I didn't give anything to any one there.

With what it would cost to fix the tractor, versus what it would bring (maybe) repaired, my opinion would be to sell it for salvage.  The difference to me isn't worth the time and expense to repair it, since it's not needed/wanted by anyone at the farm.  The enjoyment Dad got out of the tractor was worth the difference of what he paid and we can get out of it.  Would Abilene Machine come pick it up, or would we need to arrange and pay for someone to haul it to them?  Will the salvage price be determined before we sell it to them (or whomever) or after they get it on their lot?  Just a few questions that come to my mind about this.  Talk to Mom and see what way she wants to go, but to me it seems like a lot of money spent on something that she won't see much return on, along with being a lot of extra work for someone to get rid of it anyway.
Love,
Cathy


sjrogers@ruraltel.net

 <sjrogers@ruraltel.net>
To:Allen Juenemann,Mary Juenemann,Karen Sippel,Cathy Broeckelman,Rose Juenemann
Thu, Aug 4 at 10:09 PM
My Steve said that he didn’t think you had to have proof of ownership as tractors are not titled (We were talking about this as his brother also has several tractors). I would think the cancelled check would provide any proof if needed. Personally I would sell for salvage. I don’t know that I’d want to put $10000  into it and still have the hassle to sell it with no guarantee of return.  Plus you’d have to pay a commission fee of up to 20-25% at auction. Selling privately could take a lot of time and effort that I don’t have to mess with it.   I like Kevin’s suggestion to offer it to anyone in the family (not me either!) if they want to buy it at salvage price ( call Abilene for a quote??) and mess with it, otherwise let Abilene come and get it just to get it settled. 

Judy

Rose Juenemann <rose3157@yahoo.com>
To:Cathy Broeckelman
Thu, Aug 4 at 10:21 PM
I understand from Steve J that Abeline Machine will pick it up.  I have not talked to them or anyone else at this time as to how salvage all works since we have not made a decision yet. I just heard back from Steve J. last night & have not been up to digging into it more today other than to email the info to you all that I received.  I appreciate all the thoughts & questions.
rmj


Rose Juenemann <rose3157@yahoo.com>
To:sjrogers@ruraltel.net
Thu, Aug 4 at 10:24 PM
I'm sorry you do not want a lawn ornament either, Judy & Steve.  I think I am the only one that gets that privilege of having other peoples farm equipment as my lawn ornaments,  Lucky me, I guess.
rmj

allen juenemann <ajwood63@hotmail.com>
To:sjrogers@ruraltel.net,Mary Juenemann,Karen Sippel,Cathy Broeckelman,Rose Juenemann
Sun, Aug 7 at 3:25 PM
That sure is a shame. If I lived closer, I would say buy the parts & I would make the repairs, but as it stands, it doesn't look like much of a gain to pay for the repairs. I am good with whatever you decide to do. Allen


Because I had COVID and could not go down to Mom's to visit with her and she could not focus when talking to her on the phone I waited till I could see her in person wearing a mask.  I talked to Mom again Sunday evening, August 7, face to face about all that Steve Juenemann told me and read these responses to Mom.  Mom made a face at the cost of repairs and said she didn't think she would want to spend that kind of money then we still will have to try to sell it.  She told me to see what Abilene Machine would offer and I said I'd call them Monday morning.   

Monday, August 8, I did call Abilene Machine and had to leave a voice mail for the person that deals with salvage.  Jeff Finley had been thinking he might want a project for when he retires soon so he did some research of his own.  He called me Monday after I had left the message with Abilene Machine.  He had talked to them for information on parts and talked to Todd (one of the owners) who said for me to email him pictures.  I wrote the following e-mail to Todd with 10 or 11 pictures that I had taken after Derrick parked it in front of my house along with the ID number and engine hours on the tractor.  


Rose Juenemann <rose3157@yahoo.com>
To:eb@abelinemachine.com
Mon, Aug 8 at 4:21 PM
Todd-
Jeff Finley of Levant, KS talked to you earlier today about my father's IH 7140 Magnum tractor.  He explained the issues we have with broken cast iron with hydraulic system.  I personally do not know how to explain the issues.  
I have researched that the cast iron part is no longer made but have found a used piece and can have the tractor fixed for around $10,000.  
My father passed away in May and the grandson that purchased the farm does not want the tractor or to fix it. I was told that it could expect to sell it once fixed for $20,000.  My mother and siblings have no need for the tractor and was told the best option is to contact you to see if you would want to purchase the tractor for salvage.   
We are open to any ideas, input or suggestions.  The tractor is located on the family farm 6 miles west of Selden, KS.  The tractor is accessibly parked at the edge of a field south of the house.  I'm not sure there is enough oil in it to drive it back up to the road at this time.  
Jeff said to send pictures to you.  I have the Model & Identification Number of 7140 & JJA0046147.  I believe it is a 1989 model. The  broken hydraulic cast iron is the only problem we had with the tractor.   5 pictures are attached here and I will send a second email with a few more pictures.

Thank you for your time and any help you can offer.

Sincerely,
Rose Juenemann
Gerald F. Juenemann Estate
12933 W Road 130 N
Selden, KS 67757
785-386-8140
rose3157@yahoo.com


I talked to Mom about putting in a call and e-mailing pictures to Abilene Machine that evening.  This leads me up to the shit storm that all happened the next day (today) Tuesday, August 9.  

I have a long batch of texts that I will post here.  This Blog is just a way for me to journal and is not intended really for anyone else but me.  

Dad must be rolling over in his grave about what has happened next.  I'm sorry, Daddy.  I never intended for any of this to happen and I thought I was doing what Mom asked me to do and did not know the back lash of it all that would follow.   I was not keeping anything secret nor was I looking after anything you and Mom have trusted me with for anything other than for the two of you.  I do not have any personal motives here and have kept all your children informed of all my actions.  I won't even write myself a check for what you had been paying me for.  I do not want it to look to anyone later that I may have been stealing from your accounts or anything for my personal gain at your expense.  I love you, Dad & Mom. I'm sorry if I have let you down in any way.  My heart breaks.

Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment