Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sunbonnet Sue Babies Quilt

A few years ago Karen and I were at the Newton outlet stores at the Charlotte's Quilt Shop.  She bought an embroidery pattern pre-printed on fabric of Sunbonnet Sue Babies.  The fabric was pretty cheesy so she made copies on the copy machine at school and used that to trace onto fabric she wanted to embroidery them on.  She bought all the threads in the colors according to the pattern directions.  I loved the pattern also so we decided to share it.  When she was done, she gave me the pattern copies and all her threads.  She said there was no point in me buying all the colors when you only use a little of most of them.  As I embroidered the babies, I would purchase any thread colors that I ran out of.  When done the pattern and threads were returned to Karen.

I worked on the babies all winter a couple years ago.  I like doing hand work when I watch TV or just sit around and wait .  These could be put in a zip lock bag and tucked in my purse and go anywhere with me.  They were so cute an really easy stitches to do.  When I got them all embroidered, I put the set away to finish later.  Someone needs to have a baby girl as their first baby now.

At the first of the year I added this quilt to my list to finish this year.  Even if nobody is having a baby girl, I can finish the quilt and have it ready for when the right baby comes along.  I have told all my nieces and nephews that when they have their first baby I will make them an applique quilt for their nursery.  If they have 8 babies I do not plan to do 8 quilts!  I try to make the quilt special to go with the nursery theme or a theme that means something special to the family.  Some quilts have been made from purchased or free online patterns but others have been my own creation. 

In June, Emily, Karen's daughter, announced that she was having a baby in December.  A few weeks later she found out she was having a baby girl.  Oh, goody! I can make the embroidered Sunbonnet Sue Babies quilt for her.  How fitting it seems to me.  Emily is into retro things, natural things, artistic things, and besides that I got the pattern from her mother.  She saw some embroidered blocks that Mom got in some stuff and fell in love with them.  Mom made them into a quilt for her.  She loved it.  She said her nursery is painted teal and she promised Ryan that she would not go all pink girly in her décor.  I think she will like this embroidered baby quilt.
 
Sorry the picture of the embroidery work and the quilt itself is not very clear.  I'll try again to take pictures of it and if I can get a better one, I will replace this later.
 
I wanted to add a little pop at the border of the quilt but everything seemed to be too much.  I found a tutorial for "Susie's Magic Binding" and thought I'd give it a try.  It added just what I needed and turned out great.  The tutorial was so easy to follow.  Look at the results.



On the bottom picture you can even see some of the machine quilting I did. 
 
Emily's baby shower is not until November 1 so don't spill the beans.  Can we keep this a secret from her?  You are getting a sneak peak.
 

Rose

PS: Look what I made from the scraps.  Baby Flora will have a doll quilt that goes with her baby quilt. (Dec 14, 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment