Monday, October 20, 2014

Temple Garments

I was raised in a strong Catholic home. Thank you, Mom & Dad, for raising your family with a strong faith in God.  I have taken additional classes as an adult to better understand my Catholic faith.  I took a trip to Israel and to Rome to visit religious historical sites.  I am now a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Do not get me wrong here.  I have not rejected the faith that I grew up with but have taken that faith and knowledge and expanded upon it.  I now have a better understanding where before I had a lot of unanswered questions.  I do not know it all nor have all questions answered and do not expect to while living upon the earth.  This is the first time I have spoken so boldly outside the church about my faith.  It is a little scary to put myself out there for fear of rejection.  I think we all feel the disapproval from others at times but that can be another entire post topic.

When I began investigating and attending the LDS Church, my family was not too happy (that's the understatement of the century!)  Mom said a lot of negative things before storming out of my house, my sister-in-law did not want me to spend time with her children, others just thought I was crazy (but that was nothing new).  I did not share this part of my life with my family.  We just did not talk about it at all.  I knew I could not explain in a way they would understand and that I needed to live my life as an example of my faith before them.  They have come to see that I am not evil or possessed, I do not put them down for their beliefs nor am I 'preachy' about my faith.  I hope they know that my family is so very important to me and that I love them all more than words can express and would do anything within my power to help them.  I also love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and am grateful for the plan of salvation and the atoning sacrifice Christ made for my sins and the sins of all mankind. 

The last time I was in Wichita at Karen's she said that one day at school some of the teachers were talking about "Mormon magical underwear'.  She stood up for the LDS faith by saying to these ladies that her sister (me) is 'Mormon' and that their garments are for modesty and an expression of their faith.  Well, she was right to a point and that was a good enough explanation for these teachers at that time. When she was telling me this, my heart swelled with appreciation and awe that she would do this in defence of the LDS faith when she is not a member of the church but that I am. 

Ever since that day I have wanted to post about this topic.  I talked with my home teachers about this asking what would be appropriate and not appropriate to say.  There are so many types of religious clothing in many different religions that display faith in God.  Are these made fun of as much as the LDS temple garments?  I do not know. 

The other day I found this article and video which explained the topic of temple garments much better than I could ever have done.  Since it is put out by the church I know that I am not saying anything that I should not.  Maybe this will help others to have a little better acceptance of what they do not know or understand.  There is nothing to fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment